OK, you guys know how horrible I am at grocery shopping. I just go and buy what looks good at the time with really no plan in mind. Sometimes that works out OK, if I'm in a cooking mood that week. But usually I just end up making some sort of weird concoction and not really using my groceries to their fullest potential.
So I was very glad when a fellow member of the Philly Social Media Moms and the NJ Digital Moms Christina Hitchcock (from the blog It's a Keeper) came up with this helpful ebook called Dinner411: How to Get Dinner on the Table in 30 Minutes or Less .
It is chock full of tips so that you can plan and execute 7 days of great meals for your family without wandering through the grocery store and then throwing some sort of meal together at the last minute like I usually do.
My favorite part of the book is the printable meal plan pages. My biggest problem is figuring out what I need to buy in order to make the meals I want to make. Having a print out is a great way to hold myself accountable in the store.
Dinner 411 also has some really great recipes and tips on how to prepare foods ahead of time so that you aren't scrambling to shove some food down your kids' throats before soccer practice. One recipe that looks easy and tasty is the One Pot BLT Pasta.
- 12 slices of bacon, divided
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 12 oz uncooked linguine pasta
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh parsley,chopped
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1 oz Parmesan cheese, grated
- Halved cherry or grape tomatoes
1. Slice the bacon cross wise into strips.
2. Cook in a large skillet with high sides for 8-9 minutes, or until crisp. Remove bacon and drain on paper towels.
3. Drain skillet, leaving 1 tbsp of bacon drippings in the skillet.
4. Add onion and red pepper flakes to the skillet. Saute for 2-3 minutes or until tender.
5. Add garlic and cook for 10-20 seconds more.
6. Add broth and tomatoes to the skillet and bring to a simmer.
7. Add pasta, salt and half of the cooked bacon.
8. Simmer, covered for 9-10 minutes or until pasta is almost cooked by still firm. Stir occasionally.
9. Remove skillet from heat and add cubed cream cheese, tomatoes and parsley, reserving 1 tablespoon of parsley for garnish.
10. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes or until pasta is tender and sauce is thickened. Serve with remaining bacon, grated Parmesan cheese and reserved parsley.
I hope you'll check out Christina Hitchcock's ebook Dinner411: How to Get Dinner on the Table in 30 Minutes or Less available at Amazon.com.
This post contains affiliate links. I received this ebook complimentary in exchange for an honest review. No other compensation was received. All opinions are my own.