When I was at Blogger Bash, I was given a beautiful Tinkerbell figurine from the reps who were showing us Disney Infinity 2.0. Being that my son was a Skylanders die hard, we had yet to purchase even the first Disney Infinity game. So when I got home, I contacted the reps to ask about it. Instead of asking me to take their word for it about how cool the game is, they sent us a copy of Disney INFINITY: Marvel Super Heroes (2.0 Edition) Video Game Starter Pack - PS3 to review for ourselves!
It did not take long for my kids to jump at the chance. They quickly opened the box which contained the game software disc, Infinity base, Iron Man, Thor, & Black Widow figurines, 2 Toy Box game discs, 1 Web code card, 1 Marvel's the Avengers Play Set piece, and a poster. We were also given 3 Disney INFINITY: Marvel Super Heroes (2.0 Edition) Power Disc Packs (sold seperately in stores) which include 2 extra Power Discs in each for a total of 6.
Being new to the game, we were curious about everything. Thankfully, the game is user friendly and was easy to set up. We inserted the disc and plugged in the base. Once the game loaded, the kids were able to place their figurines on it and play.
After playing it over the weekend, I asked my kids to tell me a little about what they noticed.
My 10 year-old daughter who is an avid Minecrafter said the graphics are beautiful. She was excited to learn that there are many characters available. My son is a big Groot fan, so we went out and purchased him over the weekend. He was excited to try out all the different power discs and was happy to see that you can use more than one disc at a time. He also loves the upgrades that are available for each character.
One thing that my kids both pointed out, though, is that it is kind of difficult to maneuver through the editing portion of the game. If you want to change, add or delete anything you have done, there are a lot of steps. Being that they are used to playing Minecraft where the controls are much easier, it may take some getting used to.
For me as a spectator, there were several things I noticed.
- I want to compare Disney Infinity 2.0 to Skylanders, but they really are two different balls of wax. They both use the same concept of adding a figurine to a base in order to play the game. However that's where the comparison stops, really. Disney Infinity is more involved with several different ways to play where Skylanders follows one storyline. Both are great games, but I think Disney Infinity is probably better for gamers who are more advanced than those who are comfortable with playing Skylanders.
- The graphics and sounds really are beautiful. There are no hard edges. The characters don't have harsh voices. The music has a Disney feel to it without being too cutesy or intolerable for adult ears.
- The price of the game itself (about $75 for the starter kit) is a bit daunting, but once you have purchased it the additional characters and accessories are priced well from about $5 for a power pack to about $35 for a Play Set. Perfect for Christmas gifts, birthday gifts, or stocking stuffers.
- The figurines are very well-made and gorgeous. They look like collector's items on their own. They won't be an eyesore if your kids leave them "displayed" in your living room. And the base is small and flat like a tablet, so it doesn't take up a lot of space.
- Like I stated earlier, we are new to the Disney Infinity game. But if you already had the Disney Infinity 1.0 edition, all your figurines and power packs are foward compatible with the 2.0 edition. That means you don't need to buy all new characters to play!
We are very happy so far with the Disney Infinity Marvel Super Heroes 2.0 edition and can't wait to see what else it has in store for us! My kids asked what character I will buy for myself. I told them it would be Jack Skellington all the way.
Check out Disney INFINITY: Marvel Super Heroes (2.0 Edition) Video Game Starter Pack available for PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, XBox 360, XBox One, and the Wii U.
For more details, visit Disney.com/Infinity.
Disclosure: I was given the above items free of charge to to give my honest review. No other compensation was received. This post contains my Amazon affiliate links which means if you were to purchase anything through the links I could receive a commission...which I would greatly appreciate, of course.