I admit it. I have only recently become a huge sports fan. I never really understood the excitement until about 3-4 years ago ...right around the time my daughter started playing sports. I swear, having children has opened my eyes to SO many new experiences. I mean, I played sports my whole life, but never really felt it. I went through the motions and got through each sport by the skin of my teeth.
Until seeing my daughter play her heart out on the soccer field, I didn't get it. Now I know the feeling of determination. I know why she sometimes cries after games - even if they win. It's a very emotional thing and I cry right along side her. She feels it, so I do too.
I felt that way watching the Olympics this summer. In particular, while watching the U.S. gymnasitcs team. Not only did they prove they can handle themselves on the mat, they proved they can handle themselves off, too. There were so many times I was on the edge of my seat waiting to hear the outcome of a challenged call or wiping tears from my eyes when someone fell off the beam. It was truly a remarkable site to behold on the television screen every night. I often wondered how it would feel to see these athletes in person... doing their thing right in front of me.
Well, here is some good news for all of you that have wondered the same thing. The US gymnastics team is coming to Prudential Center in Newark, NJ with the Kellogg's Tour of Gymnastics Champions on Saturday, November 10th.
"As our 2012 Olympians head to London to represent their country, we are proud to announce they will be an important part of our cast for the 2012 Kellogg’s Tour of Gymnastics Champions, which serves as the perfect stage for Americans to celebrate and welcome our Olympians home," said Steve Penny, president of USA Gymnastics.
Below is the complete list of athletes scheduled to perform during the Kellogg’s Tour of Champions. Due to athletes’ schedules and personal commitments, the cast will vary from stop to stop.
• Rebecca Bross –2010 World Championships Team silver medalist; six-time World medalist
• Gabby Douglas –2012 U.S. Olympic Trials champion and 2011 World Championships Team gold medalist
• Brenna Dowell –2010 Pan Am Championships team gold medalist
• Sarah Finnegan –2012 U.S. Olympic Team replacement athlete; 2010 Pan Am Championships team gold medalist
• Anna Li –2012 U.S. Olympic Team replacement athlete; 2012 U.S. uneven bars bronze medalist
• Nastia Liukin –2008 Olympic all-around champion; five-time Olympic medalist
• McKayla Maroney –2012 U.S. Olympic Team member; 2011 World vault and team gold medalist
• Chellsie Memmel –2008 Olympic Team silver medalist; World gold medalist in all-around, team (twice), uneven bars
• Elizabeth Price –2012 U.S. Olympic Team replacement athlete; 2011 City of Jesolo Trophy team gold medalist
• Aly Raisman –2012 U.S. Olympic Team member; 2011 World floor floor bronze medalist and team gold medalist
• Kyla Ross –2012 U.S. Olympic Team member; 2012 Kellogg’s Pacific Rim team gold medalist
• Alicia Sacramone –2011 World team gold medalist; 2008 Olympic team silver medalist; 10 career World medals
• Sabrina Vega –2011 World Championships team gold medalist
• Jordyn Wieber –2012 U.S. Olympic team member; 2011 World all-around and team gold medalist, balance beam bronze medalist
• Chris Brooks –2012 U.S. Olympic Team replacement athlete; 2012 Kellogg’s Pacific Rim Championships all-around and team gold medalist
• Alex Buscaglia –2010 Pan Am Championships Team gold medalist
• Jake Dalton –2012 U.S. Olympic Team member; 2011 World Championships team bronze medalist
• Jonathan Horton –2012 U.S. Olympic Team member; 2010 World all-around bronze medalist; 2008 Olympic team bronze medalist and horizontal bar silver medalist
• Glen Ishino -2010 Pan Am Games team gold medalist
• Steven Legendre –2012 U.S. Olympic Team replacement athlete; 2011 World Championships team bronze
• Alex Naddour –2012 U.S. Olympic Team replacement athlete; 2011 World Championships Team bronze medalist
• John Orozco –2012 U.S. Olympic Team member; 2012 U.S. all-around champion; 2011 World Championships team bronze
• Paul Ruggeri -2011 Pan Am Games team bronze medalist and high bar champion
• Brandon Wynn -2011 Pan Am Games team bronze medalist and still rings gold medalist
1996 Olympian John Macready and 2004 Olympian Mary Sanders will also be part of the Tour. The cast of gymnastics champions will be joined by local gymnasts at each tour stop. Acrobatic, rhythmic and trampoline athletes participating in the 2012 Kellogg’s Tour of Gymnastics Champions will be announced at a later date.
WOW, that's a long list!
And here's some even BETTER news - we want you to go so badly, we're giving away a four pack of tickets* to go see them!
There are a few ways you can enter. Choose one, or choose them all!a Rafflecopter giveaway
"USA Gymnastics has produced countless memorable moments throughout the history of the Olympic Games and Kellogg's is excited to help bring the incredible athletes who create these moments to fans, even after the Games have ended, as part of our official partnership," said Kellogg U.S. Morning Foods President David Denholm.
*Tickets are being provided by Prudential Center. Winners wil be chosen by random.org.